2013 has been a pretty quiet year….not that I’m
complaining! We are loving life in
southern AZ, enjoying time together as a family, and making fun memories
together.
One
of the big advantages to living here is that we get to see our family a lot
more often! We enjoyed several visits to
and from family this year. We also got
to participate in my youngest sister Rachel’s wedding in the San Diego Temple
in the spring. After the wedding Dave and
I left our kids with my other sister Anna and had a great weeklong adventure driving
up the coast, visiting Big Sur, San Francisco, and Yosemite. It was some amazing America!
Ellie
(9) is having a great year at
school. She is in the advanced 3rd
grade class and is finally getting pushed outside her comfort zone a little.
She has a wonderful teacher who has been teaching for 17 years and does a great
job helping kids reach their potential.
Earlier this year Ellie’s class along with several other classes did an
Olympics after studying about the ancient Greek Olympics. Ellie was the fastest girl and the second
fastest kid among all the kids competing in the sprint. She challenged Dave to a race the other day
when we were taking a walk. Dave beat
her even with Leah riding on his shoulders, so I guess she still needs to grow
a bit before we enter her in the real Olympics J .
Ellie is taking piano lessons and is doing quite well. She had her first recital several weeks ago
and impressed us all with her arrangement of Jingle Bells. Several months ago her teacher had her play primary prelude
music for church and she did great. She
has started babysitting other kids here at our home so I can supervise and is
enjoying work that she actually gets paid for.
Amari is getting big!
She turned five last month and is starting to read a little and loves to
ride her bike and swim. She is a
daredevil on her bike with Ellie egging her on.
She especially likes to put both legs on one side of her bike and zoom
down our driveway and around the corner “look Mom, no feet!” She is a little quieter personality-wise, but
loves to step out of her shell when Ellie is at school and take charge of the
younger kids. She has been doing dance
class for a while but we switched her out of dance class and put her in
gymnastics at her request. She has a
great time and is picking it up very quickly.
Her back bends and cartwheels are already impressive for just a month of
class.
Dave had a great year at work- he works with the Israelis
on a joint missile defense program and loves what he does. He’s gotten a lot of positive feedback for
his work which is always nice. He is
still working with the Young Men/ Boy Scouts at church and had the chance to go
on High Adventure this year- hiking, kayaking, and camping around Catalina
Island off the coast of California.
I turned the big three-zero this year! So far, so good! I am enjoying life and manage to stay pretty busy although I still squeeze in a nap here and there. I have been teaching in two co-op preschools for the three younger kids- a lot of fun and a lot of work! I have really enjoyed gardening this summer- Dave and I had a very successful garden and actually got some produce out of it- a first for us! One tough thing for me this summer was having both my parents diagnosed with fairly serious health problems. Thankfully they are holding up well and I am so grateful for the reminder to treasure the time we get to share with those
we love.
Here’s to a wonderful 2014! Love, The Zinckes
No comments:
Post a Comment