Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Food for Thought
Do any of you have foods that always remind you of someone or bring back memories? Lately I’ve been enjoying the happy memories that certain foods bring back to me. For example, the other day I made strawberry freezer jam with Ellie. Making jam brought back wonderful memories of my Grandma C., the summers I spent on the farm, and the time my grandma spent with me teaching me how to make the jam just right. When I make taco salad, I always use Fritos because that’s how my Grandma H always made it for my grandpa, and I think about them both. Veggie soup always makes me think of my mom and how glad I am that she encouraged a love for healthy food and kept the soda and junk food to a minimum when we were kids. To this day I still don’t have much of a taste for that stuff, although I do love my chips. Tonight I made baked sweet potatos, something I hated as a kid but love now. Anna was the one that re-introduced them to me while she was visiting, and I couldn't help but think about the good times we had while she was here while the potatos were baking. I could go on but you get the idea. I hope Ellie grows up to enjoy cooking with me and that I can share some of my memories with her and give her happy food memories of her own.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have the best roll recipe EVER, and everytime I make it I think of my mom and Thanksgiving. They are our Thanksgiving rolls and I remember helping my mom make them. Although now, I just have to make them. But they are soooooooo good!
ReplyDeleteMy other food associations are unfortunately, pregancy related.
Ha ha! I decided to try my hand today at whole grain rye bread, and I have been thinking of you all afternoon!
ReplyDeleteBTW, did we have baked sweet potatoes as kids? The only thing I remember similar to that was the marshmallow and brown sugar yams.
ReplyDeleteYeah, the marshmallow yams were all we had. Those were the only sweet potato I had ever tried and I didn't like them much so I never tried cooking them some other way once I was on my own.
ReplyDelete