Monday, March 16, 2009

What a circus!



Dave and I took Ellie to the circus last Saturday. Some new friends from church were taking their kids, so we decided to go too. Tickets were $15 for adults. We’re cheap people, so $30 to be entertained, while not breaking the budget, is not something we do every day. Dave and Ellie have never gone though, so we thought it would be a fun family activity. It was in the parking lot of the greyhound bus station, which should have been our first clue. Our second clue should have been the circus tent, a ratty red and yellow affair that looked like it would be a death trap if any inclement weather came up. But, like P.T. Barnum is supposed to have said, there’s a sucker born every minute, and we were the suckers. We shelled out our 30 bucks (kids get in free!) and went in. The benches around the ring were about 6 inches wide, so we balanced our rear ends on them as best we could and waited for the show to start. It was supposed to start at 4:30, but of course they waited and waited, hoping I think to let our kids have enough time to wear us down with their whining for the ridiculously overpriced snow cones, popcorn, and cotton candy. Finally, they started the show. Out came the 5 performers that were the entire circus staff. They did a reasonably good tightrope and acrobatic act for 10 minutes, and then announced a 15 minute “intermission!” They then spent 20 minutes trying to sell $4 coloring books to the kids, who were still bored and whiny. If I remember correctly, we then got to witness one of those horribly lame clown acts. At this point I was ready to leave. But no, here comes the “World’s Smartest Horse!” Out from behind the curtain came this tiny pony. His owner led him by his lead rope in circles until the poor horse looked like it was about to fall over. Apparently, this was the horse dancing. After that impressive showing, they put two 6 inch high hurdles in the ring. As the pony was led around the ring, it got thunderous applause for jumping over these things. Let me just tell you we were desperate for ANY entertainment. Following the “World’s Dizziest Horse” came “Shrek’s Donkey!” For only 5 little dollars we could come down and get our picture with the donkey. Now came another intermission, presumably so we could consume more junk food at 3 and 4 dollars a pop, get our picture with Shrek’s Donkey for a fiver, and buy one of their balloons for four little dollars, now reduced to TWO little dollars! The sound of cheap balloons popping filled the air as we sat in despair on our tiny benches, with our numb derrieres and bored children. The show ended with a repeat of the first act, minus the tightrope. We couldn’t get out of there fast enough while behind us, the ringleader reminded us to come back for the next showing at 7:00! Not likely. We ended our ghetto circus experience by taking the kids to dinner at a McDonald’s playplace that was almost as dirty as the circus had been. Somehow it was a fitting end to the night.

7 comments:

  1. I loved your circus story. Early in our parenting years I got all hopped up on this idea to take my family to the circus (cause kids were free you know) and since they never did tell what the price for adults was, I should have been a little aware. We even invited the missionaries and offered to pay for them (the "kids are free" cards were really a marketing genius...we thought it would be a 20 dollar night of rare entertainment! We were there for about 30 minutes after our $60 investment, freezing and a little less than impressed. One of the elders paid $5.00 to see the world's smallest baby behind a tent flap. It was some animal embryo in a jar. Love the story and glad you're blogging. BreAnne

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a sweet story - I remember my parents taking us to Ringling Bros. when I was a kid and think that would be on the opposite end of the spectrum as far as a circus goes. I remember there was so much going on I felt like I couldn't concentrate on anything - elephants, clowns, tightropes. I'm not saying the circus isn't a ripoff, but i think the big time might be more what you're looking for...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's HORRIBLE!! I'm impressed that you guys even lasted that long! Next time (well I guess if you dare do a next time) you should do the Ringling Bros. circus. It's A LOT better and our kids loved it. It's the only one we ever do...we're a little sketchy on any other circus acts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I got to go to the Ringling Brother Circus when I was a kid too, that's more what I was expecting. We'll definitely go if it's ever in town. Dave and Ellie still need a "real" circus experience

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sad! I've never been to or taken my kids to the circus. Now I'm really in no hurry. I guess with people being able to do reality TV there aren't enough weirdos getting sold to the circus anymore. Too bad.

    p.s. How the heck are you guys?? Thanks so much for letting us stay with you after we got married before our apartment was available. How old is your daughter now?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amy! Ellie's 4 now, she'll be 5 this fall. I can't believe you guys have 4 kids now! I checked out your blog-what cute kids!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Charity! Sounds like a real adventure!!! You guys are good sports...I would have asked for a refund!

    ReplyDelete