5 years ago
Sunday, August 9, 2009
Not the America I grew up in....
It seems that every day, I continue to hear news from all sort of sources that in the end make me sick to my stomach. I realize that we have always had a deficit, but this is getting ridiculous. I feel like, our "leaders" have decided that being fiscally responsible is just not that important. I think it's interesting that individuals, corporations, clubs, non-profits, etc all are punished if they practice the same methods as our government. For some reason, if you're the government, it's OK. I think it's great to have social benefits and all but at the same time, if you don't have the cash from the basic source of revenue (taxes), then don't spend it! Direct benefits to special interest groups (porkulous spending) always get political kudos, but the 300 million or so Americans that will ultimately pay the indirect price (more taxes) suffer the consequences. Right now, the best description I've heard of this is massive generational theft. We play now and then the next poor suckers, I mean our kids, have to pay the price tag. Doesn't anybody feel the immorality of this? It's OK to have some lean years! It's the natural part of any cycle. For most ups there are also downs. The latest example of our collective insanity is "cash for clunkers". I am certainly in the minority on this because most people seem to support the program. Of course. :) Who doesn't like "free" money right? It's the classic free rider problem in economics again. Well, first of all it isn't free and second why would we pay for something like this when we don't have the cash to start with? People have argued that if we give $3B to the program it will go to stimulating the auto companies. That is likely true, but the problem is that of the $3B how much of that will go to Americans? What brands do you think of when getting a new fuel efficient car these days? Even if the few American companies got 75% of the total trade in sales, which is extremely unlikely, then the rest of our money(collective debt) just went overseas. Wonderful stimulous! How many of you go out and spend $300 dollars, get $225 in value (and that is optimistic) and are pleased? Here's a brilliant thought, if we reduced the federal tax burden across the board, by $3B, then everybody (granted it's only $10 per person which is the political problem in the first place) would share in the benefit. Imagine, all of the $3B would be gained as a stimulous here at home! Back to the earlier example, $300 spent by you, and you receive $300 in value. The biggest issue at hand though isn't the fairly simple methods of how to spend the money(I mean debt), because that's easy. The overall issue at hand is why does the government feel that it is their duty to spend it in the first place in this manner? Since when is it the constitutional right to spend our taxes on buying people cars? Seriously, where in the constitution does it talk about spending money on special interest groups like on buying cars for a few thousand people at the expense of everyone else? Where does that type of spending end? Washing machines for people? What about a new TV? Does this sound like anything from the past yet? I know that basic infrastructure, national defense are basic necessities that we as a people have and the constitution provides for those. Lately we have abandoned sticking to the basics and instead have collectively placed our faith in big brother instead. Spending our tax revenues, should be held as a sacred duty of trust from the American people. Right now, I feel like that integrity is gone. I know that I for one, would rather have the freedom of choice on where my purchases go than let the government do it for me. As taxes are raised in the future, and don't be naive enough to believe they won't, the percent of choice for us all decreases. Stand up America, this is your future at stake here!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment