We celebrated Dave's birthday last night in a low-key way:dinner and birthday cake at our friend's house. Ellie was positive that Dave needed a piñata at his party, and decided that it should be a BYU football piñata. I went along with this because I have fond memories of making many piñatas in our basement growing up. We blew up a big balloon, covered it with newspaper dipped in paste, dried it and painted it in BYU colors. I will tell you after spending three days de-pasting my table that it is not as much fun as an adult to make these as it was when I was a kid.
The kids all got a turn to whack at it, then it was Dave's turn. The first whack sent a big hunk of the stick hurtling over my head but didn't damage the piñata at all. Second whack-same thing happened! Another hunk of stick, no damage to the piñata. Finally Dave stabbed it open. Apparently the shock of the blows had actually broken Tootsie rolls in half. Do you know how hard it is to break a tootsie roll? It's hard.
Happy Birthday Dave!
Happy Birthday Dave! We are proud of the symbolism of your unyielding, pressure-resistant, and whack-proof BYU football pinata. May the 2011 season bring forth the same! :)
ReplyDelete