Sunday, July 10, 2011

What's behind curtain #1?

In preparation for some big changes coming up in our lives (stay tuned for the exciting news tomorrow!) we have been re-arranging rooms upstairs. Ellie got moved into the middle (bigger) bedroom which used to be the guest room. We bought her a bunkbed which she loves and moved all her furniture and decorations. The room looked good, but lacked a curtain for the window. I decided to let Ellie go to the fabric store with me to help pick out some fabric for a curtain. The only thing I forgot was that I can't sew. Not that that detail ever comes up in my crafty fantasies where I'm Martha Stewert coming up with designer looks personalized to my daughter's taste all the while saving my family oodles of dollars. Anyway. After Ellie suggesting several wildly expensive/boldly floral/overly sequined fabrics, I finally convinced her to go with some pink lace that I would line with some fabric I already had. It was so pretty in my head. I measured several times, then started sewing. After spending an hour fighting with several giant sheets of fabric, I had a square that looked pretty good (if the room was dark and you were standing in the hall and you squint a little). I got it up on the rod and suddenly I remembered- I can't sew! Yes, that curtain is about 6 inches too short for the window. Sigh.



The happy ending of the story is that while I stink at sewing and many other crafty things, I am very good at fixing stuff. Viola! A lovely valance!



The sad ending after the happy ending after the sad part was that a few days after the curtain debacle, I was browsing Walmart and found curtains that would have been super cute in Ellie's room. Cost? $2 more than what I spent at the fabric store.

4 comments:

  1. I am so impressed with your home-made valance. I think I would have cried and John would have gone to the store and gotten what I wanted to make me happy, only thus doubling the price of the project.
    AND we are waiting with bated breath for your news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed with your crafts. I always forget I can't sew either. And it really does seem that it's cheaper to buy stuff rather than to make it yourself, which is so odd to me! I tried to make Ash a tu-tu and after spending all this time and money, I realized you can get them just about anywhere for almost $10 less than I paid for the fabric. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right - I LOVE them as a valance!! AND the fabrics high enough that little ones can't play hide and seek/tug it down/wipe their noses on it. Not that I'd know from first hand experience....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job! You are, indeed, a true fix-it queen! You're my hero! :)

    ReplyDelete