5 years ago
Saturday, October 15, 2011
Bountiful Baskets
I just tried Bountiful Baskets for the first time and since I know some of you are interested, I thought I would blog about it. It is a produce co-op of sorts- you make a "donation" online, the org uses your combined funds to get good deals on produce, and they divide the stuff up and you go pick up your baskets of produce at a pre-determined time on the weekend. We just got a new location opening up near us so I decided to give it a try to see if I got my money's worth out of it.
I set up an account online and waited for a weekend that pick-up time wasn't the same as soccer time. This weekend worked out. You can only order online from Monday at noon until Tuesday sometime, and when they run out of baskets, you're out of luck. Plus, I think it's only every other week. Anyhow, Monday night I ordered my baskets. It normally costs $15 plus a $1.50 fee, so $16.50 total, but for first-timers they add $3.00. You can also buy bread and seasonal stuff if it's available. I skipped all that since I am just starting out, but according to the gal in line in front of me, their bread is really good. My total cost was $19.50 since it was my first time.
The truck was late, so we waited in line for a while, but finally it got moving and I showed my receipt, the volunteer brought my two baskets out (I ordered 1 but they divide 1 order into two baskets so things don't get squashed), and I transferred the produce to my box. Here's what I got this week. Keep in mind that every week it is different depending on what they buy.
1 Romaine lettuce head
3 Avocados
4 giant plums
5 on-the-vine tomatoes
4 broccoli heads
5 apples
6 pears
2 cucumbers
1 head of garlic
1 bag red grapes
2 lbs carrots
8 bananas
1 head cauliflower
All in all I felt like it was pretty nice produce and a good amount. Complaints from the ladies in front of me were that it doesn't seem to last as long as grocery store produce, but I guess I'll see for myself.
The pros seem to be good value, fun variety, good for the environment with less packaging, the cons seem to be the process of ordering online and pick up time on the weekend, and taking what you get even if it's not stuff you use or the wrong amount.
With all that said though, I will definitely go again. If you want to know more or see if there is a co-op in your area, check out their web site!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment