| Clouds drifting through the valley |
The road took us to the front of the mountain, giving us amazing views of the mountain range and the valley of Tucson. We even saw some deer and the largest wild turkey I've ever seen.
| Big turkey |
This guy stood easily 3-4 feet tall. We finally drove back to our camp and got our tent set up. The rain had stopped which I was very grateful for. I'm sad I didn't get any pictures of the campsite with our tent and such, but everyone was hungry and tired so that took precedence.
After we got the kids in bed Dave and I made some hot chocolate and sat outside chatting for a while. We could hear bats all around us catching their dinner. Suddenly I hear this whirring sound and something large starts thrashing in my hair before crashing to the ground in front of me. I screamed and flung my cocoa to the ground and started doing a crazed version of that dance Napoleon Dynamite does in his movie. After a score of 9.7 from the judges I grabbed a flashlight and took a look at what buzzed me. It wasn't a bat at all- it was a giant flying beetle at least 2-3 inches long with long horns. So gross. Dave killed it and we stayed outside a while longer, but every once in a while I could hear the ominous whirring of one of his friends. Later, after we had gotten in our sleeping bags, I was almost asleep when I heard a slapping noise. Dave switched on his flashlight and held up a slightly squashed but still enormous spider. "It was crawling over my hand" he announced. I was a little twitchy the rest of the night.
After the standard cold discomfort of a night in a tent we woke up (at 5 am) to a beautiful morning. After breakfast we packed up camp and took a hike around Rose Lake with the kids, than drove down the road a ways to a pullout where we had a picnic lunch.
| Rose Lake |
Sounds like an adventure! and EWWW to the bugs :P
ReplyDeleteYou are so brave. Had that spider crawled into my tent, I would have been back in the car and back down the mountain before I had time to remember the kids. ;)
ReplyDelete