Monday, July 8, 2013

Cousin Fun

We had my sister's kids for a couple weeks this summer- one week with just the kids, then the second week with their parents visiting. I was a little worried about having 7 kids (three three-year-olds!) but it was easier than I expected and we had a lot of fun together.


One night we did a hot dog and marshmallow roast in the back yard which Dave and I weren't very enthusiastic about this since it was 100* outside, but the kids were just begging. We agreed to do it and as soon as Dave got the fire going the kids all ran screaming from the flames and smoke, and wouldn't even go near the fire until they got on their gas masks (pool goggles). Dave ended up cooking everyone's hot dogs because they didn't want to do it for themselves, and we had to wonder what the point of it all was. They did cook their own marshmallows though because Dave absolutely refused to touch them. He has this "thing" about stickies. 


The big kids loved playing the Wii for a little while every night, and would ask me several times a day when they could play. One afternoon I told them to go play upstairs instead, and I cracked up when I realized what they were playing. They had gotten out our old halloween costumes and were playing Super Mario Brothers "live" ! (Amari- "I don't want to be Toad- he's ugly and mean!") They made the playroom into a level they had to pass. I was impressed with their creativity. It is a good lesson that when you can't get something you want, think outside the box and make your dreams happen another way.

We celebrated the 4th of July together- My sister is really creative (and has a lot of great Pinterest ideas!) so we came up with some fun crafts for the kids, made a great 4th themed dinner, then wrapped up the evening with a great fireworks show put on by the dads.

No comments:

Post a Comment