Friday, April 17, 2009

Bargain hunter

I want to be one of those ladies that go garage sale-ing and find fabulous stuff for their families at a fraction of the original price. "Why yes, I got this sweater for $.25! Isn't it fabulous!?" "This entire brand-new looking living room set was on Craigslist for just $300!" Isn't it fabulous!?" Those are my friends talking. I want to be them. Sadly, I lack the knack apparently required to be a bargain hunter. The combination of luck, persistence, and intuition evades me. My experience today is typical of my efforts to be "one of them." I spotted a sign on the way to drop Ellie off at preschool. "Estate Sale!" it proclaimed. "Why, that must be like a garage sale, with more stuff!" I thought. "Maybe I'll find an amazing bargain here that I can brag to my friends about!" I followed the siren song of the yellow signs deeper and deeper into the winding streets of the neighborhood. I finally saw the familiar sight of cars piled up in front of the curb. There, in the driveway, stood several ratty chairs, some assorted stuffed animals draped forlornly off to the side, and a sink. Yes, a stand-alone, sink-on-wheels, hoses sprouting out the back sink. That was all. A pretty pitiful estate if you ask me. As I drove away the bitter truth hit me. I just don't have what it takes. I resolved then and there that from now on, I'll leave the bargain hunting to the professionals and go back to where I belong. Walmart, I'm coming home!

No comments:

Post a Comment